Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Government minister declares himself "stupid"

Communications Minister Jamal Mohammed
Wait, a government minister speaking in the Senate admitted to stupidity and I missed it?


Senate Vice-President Lyndira Oudit was forced to come to the defence of Communications Minister Jamal Mohammed who on Monday admitted in the Senate that he is stupid.
In his budget contribution, Mohammed had members of the Upper House in stitches and some in shock after he said he was a nobody.
Mohammed began his presentation showering praises on his Cabinet colleagues such as Finance Minister Larry Howai, Justice Minister Christlyn Moore, Environment Minister Ganga Singh and Minister of Gender, Child and Youth Affairs Marlene Coudray.
"I mentioned at the beginning that I happened to join the Cabinet the same time as Mr Howai did, the same time as Mr Ganga Singh did, and the same time as Mrs Marlene Coudray did, and we had a recent addition of Mrs Christlyn Moore as Minister of Justice. Forget about me, I am a nobody, I am stupid," said Mohammed. The four Ministers joined the Cabinet during a reshuffle announced in June.
Opposition Senator Penelope Beckles pointed out to Mohammed that his statement will be recorded in Hansard.
Unfazed, Mohammed went on: "I am stupid and I admit that openly even if it is recorded in the Hansard."
He continued heaping praise on his Cabinet colleagues and the wealth of their experience as he congratulated Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar for making these appointments.
Oudit interjected: "Senator, just one minute. I think it would be ignoble of me to respond to your comments a while ago. I do not believe your appointment to this Chamber, and this Senate, was because you were in anyway except of wisdom and of honour."
No, no Senator Oudit... don't argue with the man. After all, he's clearly not the only Cabinet minister (current or former) struggling with that particular disadvantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?